Wednesday, May 5, 2010

‘Chennai is disabled-friendly’

Right from the beaches to the buses, I like the whole city. I did my schooling here and completed by Masters in Social Work from Loyola College. I liked my college ambience and people there were very friendly. I can’t forget my professor Udhaya Mahadevan, who helped me a lot in my studies. Just because I was disabled, I didn’t let myself down. Like other students I did my fieldwork and enjoyed the college life before moving to the US for higher studies. Buses in Chennai are easily accessible compared to other district buses and people here give seats to the disabled. If I fall down people are there to help me but it’s not the same in other countries. I like the city’s youth who always extend their hands to help disabled people. I love the Marina Beach and I long for the waters to touch my feet but it’s not possible. Pavements here are disabled-friendly. Except few shopping complexes and theatres, the rest of the city is very easy to get into. Another thing about Chennai is the US Consulate, which again is disabled friendly. It conducts spoken English classes for physically challenged.
-source EXPRESSBUZZ

No comments:

Post a Comment